Sunday, June 26, 2011

Turkey Sausage


Turkey Sausage:
  • 1.25 lbs. ground turkey (97% or 99% lean)
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
  • 1 teaspoon dried sage
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper

Hashbrowns and Eggs:
  • half bag of shredded hashbrowns o brien (with peppers and onions mixed in)
  • 5 eggs 
  • 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar

Combine in a bowl all sausage ingredients and thoroughly  mix together.  Spray pan with no stick spray.  Cook over med-high heat breaking into small pieces as it cooks.  Cook till no longer pink.  Pulse a bit in food processor so you have smaller pieces (optional- we were a bit skeptical and nervous to try turkey sausage so I made it small so it blended into our hashbrowns  and eggs instead of having a large piece.)  Separate the mixture into 4 snack sized baggies.  (Leave one out and stick the others in freezer for 3 more meals :) 

I tried a piece before adding to hashbrowns and it had good flavor its different of course than regular sausage because its turkey and because there isn't all of that grease and fat but it tasted good.

After cooking the sausage take out of pan and spray again then cook hashbrowns o brien (i used half of the regular sized bag).  No need to add any salt I am a salt lover but  there was plenty of flavor especially when you add in the sausage.  When these have browned on both sides push them over to one side of pan with pancake turner and spray the other half again and cracks eggs.  When just about done combine with hashbrowns and finish cooking.  Add sharp cheddar sprinkle on top and let melt.  Then add 1 baggie of the turkey sausage cooked mixture. Stir together.  Enjoy. 

This fed our family of 4.

My husband was not thrilled about the idea of turkey sausage but he said it was really good.  You could make this sausage into patties or links if you aren't scared of turkey sausage ;)  

The original recipe on all recipes http://allrecipes.com/recipe/moms-turkey-sausage-patties/
I did everything the same except used only 1.25 lbs instead of 2 lbs and I bought the extra lean turkey why get the regular ground turkey with the extra fat?? This is the recipe I added a while back from my sister in law.  Now I can say I have tried it and I will make it again when I want sausage.  Let me know if you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment