Friday, July 1, 2011

CHOCOLATE ALMOND GELATO



Here it is the Recipe of all Recipes!!! The one you and I have been waiting for!! The best ever Chocolate Gelato. This was the tastiest thing I have ever had!!!  The only refined sugar in the recipe is the small amount in the dark chocolate chips.  There still is fat in this recipe but I didnt use any Heavy cream to cut back on that.  I am working on an even healthier and lower fat version and also a Peach Frozen Yogurt -coming soon!!  This gelato or icecream whatever you want to call it didn't even turn rock hard overnight it was a normal store bought consistency but tasted way better!! And even though it tasted better than store bought icecream I didnt have the urge to eat the whole recipe myself.  It was rich, creamy, very satisfying, and a chocolate lovers delight!  I will definitely make this again!!!

Ingredients:

1 cup 2% milk

3/4 cup Almond milk (unsweetened) (I like Silk's the best)

1 1/2 T cornstarch

1/2 tsp knox gelatin (unflavored)

1 T + 2 tsp. Agave (or 2 T Agave -to your liking (I did 2T and thought it could probably be reduced a little) + 1 pkt sweetleaf stevia  ( i use wholesome sweeteners organic blue agave from Costco)

2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon pure vanilla

3 T (guittard 63% or ghiradelli 60% cacao chips)

2 tsps. pure almond butter (optional) ( I use Maranantha Pure Roasted Almond Butter from Costco)



(Note:  I doubled all the ingredients to fit my larger 1 1/2 quart machine)


Preparation:

Stir together 1/4 cup milk and cornstarch. Wait a couple minutes then add gelatin. And combine.

Whisk together sugar, cocoa, and remaining 1 1/2 cups milk in a small heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring. Stir cornstarch/gelatin mixture again and whisk into cocoa mixture. Return to a boil, whisking, then remove from heat.

Add vanilla, a pinch of salt, and chocolate chips to saucepan, stirring.

Put mixture in tupperware in back of fridge till it gets very cold.  Pour into frozen icecream maker. Let work for the time your machine calls for. I have the 1 1/2 quart Cuisinart and it was very frozen and my mixture was very cold it only took about 15 min.


(When done pour mixture using spatula into a tupperware drop tiny Chunks of almond butter (about 1/4 tsp.)scattered and then stir around.) Take plastic wrap and press down against icecream and then secure lid tightly (to prevent freezer flavors or ice crystals.)

Freeze for about 3 hours or overnight.
Serve gelato


I tweaked the recipe quite a bit by using almond milk and butter, agave, stevia, and gelatin, and i removed the cream and coffee.  You can find the original recipe the source of my inspiration here: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Mocha-Chip-Gelato-104577

My 1 1/2 quart Cuisinart Icecream Maker was great!! I got it at Costco and with coupon it was only $24!!  Here it is:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00000JGRT/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0001540DW&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1K38EAH6FEZYHNPWKEKH

No comments:

Post a Comment