Monday, June 20, 2011

No-Bake cookies- Dog Doo Cookies- Gaggies



Can I say I just love the traditional No Bake cookies? In my family we have a couple names for them Dog Doo cookies or gaggies sounds really appetizing right??  But the traditional no bakes are so unhealthy with a stick of butter and nearly 2 cups of sugar in a recipe....I guess thats why I like them??  This recipe for no bakes have no added sugar except for the small amount in the chocolate chips.  And the only butter you are adding is pure almond butter - yum yum! These definitely dont taste like the traditional ones, however, they are sooooo yummy and I think I might like them better or at least just as much and I dont get the highs and lows that sugar gives or the added pounds :).  To describe what the texture of these are like I would say they remind me of a ball of cookie dough minus the raw eggs-yuck!  :)  I am definitely going to make these again!!! Loved them!!! Can I get a woot woot!!!
No Bake Chocolate Oat Cookies
3 T almond butter *(the kind with almonds listed as the only ingredient) (I used Maranantha Pure Creamy Almond Butter)
2 T unsweetened almond milk
1/3 cup of dark chocolate chips (I used Guittard 63% cacao chips) or you can use Ghiradelli 60% cacao chips)
1/2 cup rolled free oats + 2 T and 1 t oats

*Stir your almond butter very thoroughly so its creamy and not dry. If its dry it wont work here.  Its the almond butter and chocolate that makes this a cookie ball, and not a crumbly mess.  ;)

Combine almond butter, chocolate chips, and almond milk and simmer on medium heat until melted, stirring often.  Once melted, add oats thoroughly.  Take a tsp or more of the mixture and knead it in your hand a couple times so everything is thoroughly combined and then roll into balls, put in tupperware and stick in the freezer for 30 minutes so they harden.  I like to store mine in the freezer but you can store in fridge too.. Makes a small amount about 10-15 balls depending on how big you make them.  If you have a large family you may want to double the recipe.  But, since Patrick doesnt like sweets and  I end up eating most of them this was a great amount.  But, my kids loved these!! And there are only 3 balls on the plate because they got scarfed down before I could take a pic. 

Here is the link for the original healthified recipe which I bet is so yummy:  http://rhi-created.com/2011/02/no-bake-chocolate-oat-cookies/ 

*NOTE:  Obviously adding the flaxseeds would make this a lot better for you but I didn't have them or the other ingredients in Rhiannon's recipe.  Next time I really want to try this recipe with some coconut I think that would be great!  But, so far I am having a hard time finding unsweetened coconut.

Here's to cookie dough that doesnt make you sick!!

As for the traditional no bakes farewell!! YOU'VE BEEN REPLACED!!!!! 

Update:  Below is an even healthier version of the  no bakes.  These ones taste more like almond than chocolate.

Recipe 2:  An even healthier no bake

2 T almond butter (maranantha or pure almond butter)
2 T almond milk (unsweetened)
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips (60% cacao or higher)
1/4 cup oats
1/8 cup almond flour
1.5 tsps. coconut unsweetened or 1.5 tsps. coconut flour
2 1/4 tsps. cold milled ground flaxseeds

In saucepan over medium heat combine until chocolate melts stirring often -almond butter, milk, and chips.  In separate bowl combine rest of the ingredients.  Add to creamy pan off heat.  Stir thoroughly.  Roll into bite sized balls.  Stick in tupperware and freeze for at least 30 minutes.  Store in freezer.  Enjoy!!










2 comments:

  1. You should look for unsweetened coconut in the FREEZER section of your grocery store. Goya makes some, but it's frozen (as do some other brands). Fun blog! Nice to "see" you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip Rachel!!! I will definitely look there.

    ReplyDelete